Pages

Friday, April 20, 2018

This I know for sure...

My nephew gave me a cup of the starter for Friendship Bread a little over a week ago. It's a ten day process where you take care of the batter, add in flour, milk, and sugar half way through and then bake it on the tenth day, after adding in additional ingredients of course. Prior to baking it, you take out four 1 cup servings to give to four friends which is why it's called Friendship Bread.

When I was teenager and into my early twenties, my mom and aunts were always passing a cup of the starter back and forth often for months at a time. Back then, we called it Herman. I'm not sure why or how it came to be called that. There were also a few different things in how it was cared for during the ten day period, but for the most part they seem to be the same thing.

Tomorrow is the tenth day so I'll be baking mine and handing out cups of the batter to four friends. Instead of making bread, I'm going to make muffins, add in some walnuts, butterscotch pudding mix, and buttershots liqueur to give it an even more butterscotch taste. My mom made it this way the very last time we had Herman years ago. It'll be a nice way to reminisce with her about days gone by

No comments:

Post a Comment