Pages

Monday, April 16, 2018

Heaven on a Dessert Plate

This past weekend I was going through old recipes I haven't made in a long time. I'm a recipe hoarder and every now and then weed out ones I've only made once, haven't ever made, or probably won't make again. While I was thinning the herd so to speak, I can across a recipe for Oreo Pudding Cake.

We used to make this all the time for almost any occasion - birthdays, bring a dish or dessert occasions, holidays, or just because. It's so good, I don't know why we stopped making it. I'm not sure where we originally got the recipe from, but I thought I'd share it here.

Oreo Pudding Cake
1 package Oreo cookies
1/2 cup margarine, melted (You can also use butter if you prefer.)
2 packages Jello Chocolate instant pudding
3 1/4 cups milk
2 8 ounce containers of Cool Whip
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 cup confectioners sugar

Break the Oreos into chunks. The best way is to put the cookies in a gallon size zip lock bag, seal the bag shut, and use a rolling pin to break up the cookies. (You want small chunks, but not crumbs like you would get if you put it in a food processor.) Set aside about 1 cup to use later.

Place the rest of the cookie chunks into a bowl and add the melted butter and mix well. Press the mixture into the bottom of a 9 x 13 pan to form the crust. Set aside. In a separate bowl, mix both packages of pudding and milk with a whisk until combined. Place the bowl in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes or so until the pudding is set.

In a medium sized bowl (I wash out the first bowl from above and re-use it), blend the cream cheese with a hand mixer until smooth and creamy. Slowly add in the confectioners sugar, blending well. Fold in one container of Cool Whip.

Spread cream cheese mixture over the Oreo cookie crust. Add the chocolate pudding over the cream cheese layer. Top with the remaining container of Cool Whip. Sprinkle the 1 cup of Oreo cookie pieces you set aside on top of the Cool Whip. Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment