Pages

Monday, April 9, 2018

Old Habits

When I wrote my first two books, I would come home from the day job and write for about an hour before doing dinner. Each day, I would turn on the lamp on the desk crammed into a corner in the bedroom, turn on the computer, and open the manuscript I was working on at the time.

I would then light a scented candle and put on classical music, only then would I sit down at the computer. I don't know if it was the music, the candle, or a combination of both, but after a few minutes, the words flowed like water from my fingertips to the keyboard and onto the screen.

I no longer have the desk or the computer. I use a laptop and now either write at the dining room table or in the living room with the laptop on my lap. While it's not an excuse, I suffered the loss of a young family member a little under four years ago. It took me a very long time (almost three years) before I even tried to write again. I haven't listened to music or lit a candle while trying to write since then. 

Most days, I struggle to get any real work on my current manuscript accomplished even though I working on editing and revisions which is supposed to be easier than writing the first draft. At this point, I'm not so sure I agree with that.

This week I'm going to light a candle and listen to music and see if it helps me get more done than I do without it.

No comments:

Post a Comment