Pages

Monday, March 11, 2019

The First Page

I read a blog post earlier this week about how many pages an author gets to entice a reader into reading their novel. The post stated an author gets one page, the first page, to get the reader interested enough in the story to keep them turning the pages.

The post stated readers familiar with an author's work will usually read further into a story before deciding to continue reading it or not. If the author is someone the reader isn't familiar with, that first page is all the author gets to hook the reader.

While the blog post had good points and made a case for its viewpoint, I'm not sure I agree especially with the above. I always, or almost always, read the first fifty pages of a book before deciding it's not for me. It doesn't matter if I've read the author's work before or it's the first time I've picked up a book by an author. Maybe I'm an outlier and very few people do the same thing.

It does make me wonder though if people make a decision whether to read a book or not after reading just the first page. So I'm asking you to leave a comment and let me know how many pages you read before deciding to set a book aside.

No comments:

Post a Comment