Pages

Monday, October 29, 2018

The Dilemma of Creating Believable Characters

As I finish up revisions for Honor Bound, I've been jotting down ideas about the heroine in the next book on the series. Ava discovers a special affinity for animals. They seem to be drawn to her and she to them.

I keep having an image of her sitting in a grassy field or meadow surrounded by forest animals like rabbits, deer, and birds. Sort of like a scene out of Snow White where she's depicted with birds eating out of her hand and other woodland creatures coming up to her.

I'd like to include a scene like what I've described above, but I want it to come across as believable at the same time. I don't have a problem with having paranormal elements in the story, but I don't want her affinity with animals to related to or due to a "special power." I'm trying to figure out how I can portray animals being drawn to Ava because of who she is, because of her innate compassion and kindness. But even as I write that last sentence, I wonder if that would be less believable than animals being drawn to her because some paranormal reason.

It's something I'm going to have to figure out how to handle if I do end up including her special bond with animals. My other option is leaving that character trait out of the story and I'm not sure I really want to do that.

2 comments:

  1. Being able to be still - watching waiting without rushing. Spending enough time that your scent becomes familiar and non threatening. Being observant enough to see what things startle and what calm wild creatures are all ways you could try to work in. If part of her character is to have some of those traits you might work it in in the way you want. try looking at some stuff on multiple intelligences / naturalist intelligence and see if it fits with who she is maybe?

    ReplyDelete