Pages

Monday, October 1, 2018

Drowning in Cornmeal

I bought cornmeal to use for a couple of bread recipes that called for it to be used on the bottom of the loaf, like an English muffin or some types of pizza. Unfortunately, the smallest bag my local grocery store carries is a 2 pound bag which was much, much more than I needed.

I like to make corn muffins from time to time so I didn't think I'd have any problem using the leftover cornmeal. Well, I've made muffins three times so far and still have about half of the bag left. I went hunting for some different recipes I could make to use the rest of it.

My sister has a cookbook titled The Perfect Cookie by the Editors at America's Test Kitchen. When I mentioned my dilemma. She told me there were a couple of recipes in the book using cornmeal. This weekend I made one of them - Cornmeal-Orange Cookies.

Due to the copyright, I don't want to include the recipe in this post, but I will say that the cookies are very similar to shortbread type of cookie. While the recipe only calls for orange zest, I added 1/2 teaspoon of orange extract and used 1/2 teaspoon less of the vanilla extract called for.

They turned out pretty well and go great with a cup of hot tea.


No comments:

Post a Comment