Pages

Monday, April 27, 2020

Another Update? Argh!

Lately it seems like my laptop is installing another update from Microsoft every other day. Normally, I don't mind the updates. I feel like it keeps things running smoothly and hopefully patches any security issues that may be out there.

However...the last update also updated the driver for my touchpad even though Microsoft swears it only updates their own software. I find this hard to believe since my touchpad was working fine and had drivers installed from the last driver update in 2018 until a Windows update went through on 04/18/20. Once that update installed, my touchpad driver showed a version from July 2019 and scrolling was no longer an option.

Who ever heard of a laptop where your touchpad didn't allow scrolling? There isn't even a tab in the touchpad settings to choose to enable scrolling in the 2019 version of the driver. I tried rolling back the driver to the previous version, but it wouldn't roll back. I kept getting a message that stated Microsoft determined the best version of the driver was already installed. (So much for Microsoft not updating software that wasn't theirs.)

It took me three days to figure out where I could find the 2018 version of the driver on the internet, install it, and get the touchpad working back the way it was before the last Windows update. Now I have to worry that the next Windows update will update the touchpad again.

And guess what? As I was typing this post, I received a message notification that a Windows update needs to be installed.

No comments:

Post a Comment