Pages

Friday, June 27, 2014

This I know for sure...

Humans have a propensity to complain. We complain about bad drivers, slow service, having to wait in line, the seemingly interminable waits in doctors' offices and emergency departments, co-workers, and sometimes even loved ones just to name a few. 

In my part of the world, people complain about the long, harsh winters (especially the one we just had which seemed to hang on forever). Now that summer has arrived, the complaints are about the hot, humid weather we've been having (high 80's and high humidity). Personally, I love the warm weather so I only complain about the winter with its low temperatures and snow. 

I'm trying to complain less about the things that irritate me. (After all, who wants to spend time with someone who complains all the time.) If I catch myself complaining, I take a deep breath and ask myself if whatever it is that's bothering me will be important a day or more from now. If it's not (and in most cases, it's not), I tell myself to let it go. To help me do that, I've adopted a mantra I read somewhere - "It's not worth my time. It's not worth my energy. It's not worth my sanity. Let it go." Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

By trying to complain less, I'm finding I'm more positive about things in general than I've been in the past. So if you find yourself complaining about something, take a deep breath and let it go. You'll be glad you did.


100 day challenge update: Today is day 12 and I'm still going strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment