Pages

Monday, August 22, 2016

A Call Inspired Breakfast



My sister called this past Saturday and asked if I had a copy of her monkey bread recipe. She wanted to make it for a family function but couldn't find hers. I told her I knew right where it was because at the time I happened to be going through recipes my sisters and I have shared over the years looking for something different for the next day's breakfast.

I look forward to Sundays because it's the one day of the week that I can sit and linger over breakfast. I like to read the newspaper while I enjoy a breakfast that is a bit more special than what I grab during the week.

While reading her the monkey bread recipe ingredients and instructions, inspiration struck. Why not try making monkey bread for breakfast? I've had different variations of it through the years. Most of them would fall in the dessert category, but I've had pizza monkey bread and even tried a beer and brats version that someone brought to a gathering.

Below is my version of Breakfast Monkey Bread.

8 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
4 large eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
3 cans Pillsbury biscuits (I used the buttermilk ones. I also used the regular sized biscuits, not the Grands.)
salt and pepper (I didn't give exact measurements for the salt and pepper because everyone's taste is different.)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a bundt pan with cooking spray. (I used Pam's butter spray.)  In a medium sized bowl, combine the eggs, milk, and salt and pepper until well mixed. Cut each of the biscuits into quarters. Dip each piece in the egg mixture and place in the bottom of the bundt pan until there is an even layer. Next sprinkle a layer of crumbled bacon followed by a layer of shredded cheese. Repeat the process until you've used all of the biscuit pieces ending with a layer of cheese on the top. (I have a pretty big bundt pan, if you have a smaller size, only fill the pan to about 3/4 full from the top.) Pour remaining egg mixture over the top. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until egg is cooked through and the top biscuit pieces are golden brown. Let cool about 5 to 8 minutes. Turn out onto a plate and serve.

I can't say for certain how many people this will serve because we didn't eat it like typical monkey bread where you pull off pieces. I cut it into about 2 inch slices and we ate it with a fork. While I felt the recipe turned out well, I'll probably make a few changes such as using more egg and milk so it's a bit more eggy. Or maybe add sausage crumbles or diced ham instead of using bacon, or add pre-cooked sliced mushrooms and peppers. Maybe try using a different type of cheese such as Colby or Gouda. As you can tell, this is definitely a recipe in progress.

If you decide to give it a try, let me know how it turned out and if you made any changes of your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment