Pages

Monday, June 17, 2019

Ways to Write - Part 2

I thought I'd do another post regarding the different things I'm trying in an effort to get more writing accomplished on a regular basis. In my first post (Ways to Write #1) I wrote about two of the things I'd tried that worked well for me. Today I'm writing about a couple of things that didn't work for me (though they may work great for other writers).

One thing was to read the last chapter or few pages of my WIP (work in progress) before going to bed so my subconscious could work on the story. After doing this, I kept thinking about what would happen next which ended up keeping me awake, making it hard for me to fall asleep. I ended up laying awake half the night and waking up tired in the morning

Another thing I tried was writing scenes as they came to me and not necessarily in the order they would happen in the story. I found it hard to go back and tie the scenes into the story. For me, I have to write the story from beginning to end in order that the events in the story occur.

One of the things I tried that seemed to work well was writing in smaller increments of time. I did have good success with this, but only if I had at least 20 minutes. If I tried to write when I only had 10 minutes or so, it didn't work as well. I think it's because I need at least 5 minutes to get my writing brain working.

No comments:

Post a Comment