Pages

Monday, January 29, 2018

Reading and Eating

I have a bad habit of eating snack foods like popcorn, Cheez-Its, pretzels, cookies, and the like when I'm reading a book. I don't know how or when I acquired the habit, but I've done it for years. Like nearly everyone else on the planet, I'm trying to eat healthier and stay away from those less healthy foods listed above. (Oh cookies, how I miss you so.) I'm also trying to break the habit of snacking while reading.

When I do need a snack, I've started eating a small serving of mixed nuts or homemade granola. I've tried a few different granola recipes and decided to share one of my favorites below. A friend gave me the recipe. She's made it for years and has, in her words, tweaked it enough to make it great. I'm sharing the recipe with her permission.

Cranberry Walnut Granola
2 cups uncooked old fashioned rolled oats (I use Quaker brand)
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup chopped walnuts (I've also used almonds.)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup dried cranberries or cherries (I use Ocean Spray brand)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Mix all of the ingredients except the dried cranberries/cherries in a large mixing bowl. Lightly grease a baking sheet. Spread the mixture in a thin layer about 1/2 inch thick.

Bake for 30 minutes or until mixture is golden in color. Stir mixture every 15 minutes during the baking period. Let stand 10 minutes, then stir in the dried cranberries/cherries.  It will stay fresh for up to 3 months if stored in an airtight container. (It never lasts that long in my house though.)

The granola is great by itself or mixed with yogurt. I also sprinkle it over frozen yogurt and vanilla ice cream. 


No comments:

Post a Comment