Pages

Monday, January 22, 2018

Borrow vs. Buy

I read quite a bit, usually whenever I have some free time though lately free time seems to be coming at a premium. I wanted to write that I read a lot, but I set a goal of reading 52 books last year and fell short. I only read 48 books so I can't say I read "a lot." My mom read 94 books so I guess she can say she reads a lot.

I happened to mention to a friend that I was going to the library this past weekend. She looked at me like I'd just said I was going to commit murder. She asked in an astounded tone, "You don't buy the books you read? You're a writer. I can't believe you don't support your fellow authors."

While I do borrow the majority of the books I read from the library or friends and family, I also buy about a third of them. It would be next to impossible for me to buy all the books I want to read. I do occasionally buy a new to me author especially if the author and/or book has been recommended to me by a friend or family member. For example a friend raved over the Brooklyn Bruisers Series by Sarina Bowen. I borrowed the first book from the friend, purchased both the first and second books, and when the third book came out, I purchased that as well. I do plan on looking into other books written by Ms. Bowen, but unless they grab me like the Brooklyn Bruisers series did, I most likely will borrow them from the library.

Most of the books I do purchase are automatic buys by certain authors. Whenever these authors release a new book, I don't even have to know what the book is about. I make a trip to Barnes & Noble or hop online to Amazon to buy that latest book.

Some of my auto buy authors are Susan Mallery, Kristan Higgins, Laura Trentham, Jill Shalvis, Sarah MacLean, Lisa Kleypas, Laura Lee Guhrke, Laura Griffin, the Charlie Davidson series by Darynda Jones, and the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich.

Do you utilize your local library or do you purchase the majority of the books you read? What are some of your automatic buy authors?

No comments:

Post a Comment