Pages

Monday, June 26, 2017

Summer - The Best Time for Ice Cream

Like most people I eat ice cream year round, but for some reason it always tastes better during the summer. On rare occasions we will get soft serve ice cream from a local ice cream parlor, but for the most part our ice cream treats come from the freezer section of the grocery store.

Wanting to try and make my own ice cream, I purchased an ice cream maker a few years ago. I used it a couple of times, but it seemed more trouble than it was worth. The bowl of the ice cream maker had to be in the freezer at least 10 hours before you wanted to use it, and I always, always forgot to put it in the freezer in time to be able to use it on the day or time that I wanted.

A friend and I were discussing my attempts at making ice cream over the weekend and she told me about an ice cream recipe she found in a magazine, but it gave an online source for the recipe. She said she's made it a few times. It doesn't need an ice cream maker and is relatively easy to make. She emailed the recipe to me with the website information. I thought I'd share it with you though I haven't tried it yet. I'll be doing it next weekend for the 4th of July holiday. If you decide to try it out, leave a comment and let me know what you think.

No-Churn Cherry Cheesecake Ice Cream
      from Delish.com

3 cups cold heavy cream
1 14oz can sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup hand-crushed graham crackers (about 4 whole crackers) (Be careful not to get the cinnamon ones. Use regular graham crackers or it will throw off the taste of the ice cream.)
1 cup cherry pie filling

Using an electric mixer, beat the cream in a large bowl on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form, 2 to 3 minutes. Fold in the sweetened condensed milk and vanilla extract until fully incorporated. Gently fold in the graham cracker crumbs. 

Transfer half of the mixture to a large 10 x 5 inch loaf pan. Drop 1/2 cup of the pie filling by spoonfuls over the top, then swirl with a butter knife. Add the remaining cream/milk/cracker mixture, then swirl in the remaining 1/2 cup of pie filling.

Freeze until for 4 hours, then remove from freezer and cover lightly with plastic wrap and freeze for at least 4 more hours.

Makes 12 servings. Can serve with any remaining graham crackers you didn't use in the recipe.

(My friend also used raspberry pie filling when she made it the second time, if you're not a fan of cherries. I'm thinking you could also use almost any type of fruit pie filling like strawberry or even lemon.)

No comments:

Post a Comment