Pages

Monday, June 12, 2017

Moving On

As many of you know, I've been struggling to finish revisions on a manuscript. I've been working on it for longer than I want to admit.

I've been using the excuse of not getting the revisions completed on everything from working extras hours at the day job, having appointments or other commitments crop up during my regularly scheduled writing time, and for the last few months being so stressed out by the day job that when I finally got home, I just wanted to veg out with a good book instead of working on my own. Thanks to changes in my work situation, I've been stress free for the last two weeks. I can't say I won't have any stress in the new situation, but it will be considerably less and should happen only rarely.

Finally feeling like I could get back in my groove and get these dratted revisions completed, I settled in last week to get some serious work done. Only to find that I was just as stuck as I was before. I took this past weekend to really look at the manuscript. It turns out that maybe stress and other commitments weren't the reason I wasn't moving forward on the manuscript.

I believe I've been struggling with it because there are at least two serious issues with the book. It will take a major overhaul and rewrite to fix the problems. After spending so much time on it and just now realizing the problems, I feel like I've gotten too close to it, a sort of can't see the forest for the trees kind of thing. I've decided I need to set it aside for a few months so I can come back to it with a fresh perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment