Pages

Monday, February 6, 2017

Breakfast Muffins

I like to bake so I'm always on the lookout for new recipes to try. I'm also trying to eat better (healthier) this year. I came across a recipe for apple muffins in an old cookbook (it was published in 1973) of my mom's. I love apples, apple butter, and will eat applesauce, and apple pie if it's warm and has vanilla ice cream on top, apple muffins just didn't sound all that appetizing. I spent a couple of weekends playing around with the recipe substituting different fruits while keeping the basic batter ingredients pretty much the same. Here's what I came up with. Give it a try and let me know what you think.

Orange Cranberry Muffins

1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup orange juice
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 well beaten egg
1/2 cup chopped craisins
1 tablespoon grated orange peel
1/2 cup chopped nuts - Optional

In a medium sized mixing bowl, add the first 4 ingredients (flour through salt) and stir until combined. Make a well in the center. In a separate bowl, mix the orange juice, oil, and egg together. Pour into the well you made in the dry ingredients. Stir just until moistened. Gently fold in the orange peel, craisins and nuts.

Place cupcake papers in a muffin tin or you can grease the individual muffin cup areas. I prefer the cupcake papers/liners for an easier clean up. Fill the papers 2/3 full. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of each muffin comes out clean. Serve warm with butter or margarine. These are also great at room temperature for a grab and go breakfast or treat.

Makes 12 muffins.


No comments:

Post a Comment