Pages

Monday, September 23, 2019

A Change in Routine

I've been really struggling to write the pages to fill in the section I realized I'd skipped over when I wrote the first draft of the current manuscript I'm revising. It was almost like I had a mental block about what needed to happen to get me from the end of the last chapter before the missing section and where the next chapter picked up.

I'd read somewhere that a change of scenery or a change in the time of day that you write can help get words flowing. I don't really have the option of changing the time that I have free to write. The change of scenery didn't seem very feasible either. I can't write at a cafe or similar establishment because I'm easily distracted by the comings and goings of the other patrons and their conversations.

I decided to try writing longhand in a spiral one subject notebook instead of typing new pages right into the manuscript. It took me a few minutes to get in the flow, but soon the words were pouring out of my pen. I ended up writing 5 pages in about 50 minutes. The pages will need to be refined, but I plan on doing that when I type the new pages into the manuscript.

I still have a ways to go to fill in that missing gap, but it's nice to know that I've found a way to get ideas/words flowing when I'm stuck.

No comments:

Post a Comment