Pages

Monday, February 26, 2018

Synopsis, Oh How I Hate Thou

In addition to finishing up the revisions/edits for my current manuscript, I'm going to start working on writing the synopsis I'll need to submit to editors and/or agents. (A synopsis is a brief summary of the story agents and publishers use as part of the decision process on whether to make an offer of publication or representation.)

I am not a good synopsis writer. The average length is approximately 5 pages. The first one I ever wrote was 20 pages long. Thankfully my critique partner who had more experience than I did at the time, went through it with me and helped me pare it down to 7 pages which I then went through again on my own and managed to get it down to 5 pages, barely.

I came across a Jane Friedman's website a couple of years ago that has the best breakdown/explanation of a synopsis and how to write one that I've found. I'm including the link here in case you're like me and hate writing the dreaded synopsis and need all the help you can get. :o)

How to Write a Novel Synopsis 

No comments:

Post a Comment