Pages

Monday, February 5, 2018

Super Bowl Recovery

The Super Bowl is over for another year and most of us are regretting overindulging in all the great food that was served during the game. I know I am. There's something about bread dip that I can't resist. Maybe because it contains one of my favorite foods - bread.

To help get myself back on track and not feel like I'm punishing myself for eating whatever I wanted during the game, I got up earlier than normal this morning and made something healthy to have for breakfast during the week.

Here's the recipe in case you want to use your morning meal to ease your way back into your healthy eating routine.

Healthy Banana Bread

2 cups mashed bananas
1/4 cup applesauce
1/4 cup vegetable or canola oil
1 cup light brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour (I use white whole wheat flour.)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts if desired. (My friend uses mini chocolate chips instead of the nuts.)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Stir together the bananas, applesauce, oil, sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract in a large bowl until well mixed. In a separate bowl, combine the two types of flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Slowly add the dry ingredient mixture to the banana mixture. Stir well to combine. Fold in the walnuts (or chocolate chips or both if you prefer).

Lightly grease a 9" x 5" bread pan. Pour the batter into the pan. Bake for 60 minutes or until a bread knife or cake tester comes out clean when you insert it into the banana bread. (I check it in a couple of different places just to be sure the center is completely cooked through.) It may take a bit longer than an hour to cook depending on your oven and the type of pan you use.

When the bread is done baking, set it pan and all on a cooling rack for about 15 minutes. Remove from pan and let it cool completely on the rack. (Unless you're like me and like it still warm with a cup of tea.)

Makes 1 banana bread loaf.


No comments:

Post a Comment