Pages

Monday, July 30, 2018

Nothing of Value is Free

I realize the adage, "nothing in life is free," is true more often than not. I recently signed up for a free webinar for writers. The purpose of the class was to have a best selling author give some of his/her tips and tricks to write better stories. There was no guarantee that these tips would land you on a best seller list, but just some things that might help you craft your story.

The webinar was 90 minutes long. An hour and a half doesn't sound like a long time to invest in helping yourself write cleaner, better, and maybe quicker. The first 25 minutes consisted of 6 tips. Most of these have been around for a long time and anyone who's been working as a writer for any length of time has heard them before, probably many times before. The remaining 105 minutes was nothing but a sales pitch for the instructor's novel writing package priced at $1,997.00. Really. 

Unfortunately, this isn't the first time I've signed up for a free writing webinar where the content advertised is no where near what actually is presented. I've also attended webinars where the presenter uses the entire allotted time to plug his or her work. Most are just barely disguised "buy my book, buy my book" advertisements.

In the future, I'll think long and hard before I sign up for another free informational writing webinar.

No comments:

Post a Comment