Pages

Monday, June 20, 2016

Summer Recipe

I went to a family and friends gathering over the weekend. It was perfect weather and a great time. The menu included a lot of barbeque foods which I'm not a fan of, but it also included some lighter fare and a couple of gluten free dishes. (My nephew's girlfriend has celiac disease so gluten is a major no-no for her.)

I chose one of the less calorie and fat selections so I was a bit leery even though I am trying to eat healthy for the most part. (Who isn't?) I was mainly worried about the taste because some things just don't translate well when they are revised from calorie and fat dense recipes to a lighter version. It was one of the best sandwiches I've eaten in a long time.

Here's a copy of the recipe I got from the hostess:

Healthy Shrimp Po'Boys

2 tablespoons dill relish
1/3 cup lite mayonnaise
1/8 teaspoon hot sauce (You can adjust the amount depending on how much heat you like.)
1 1/2 teaspoons salt-free Cajun spice (I used McCormick Cajun Spice Blend, though it isn't salt-free.)
1 pound peeled and deveined shrimp
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 head lettuce
8 tomato slices
1 good sized onion sliced into rings *optional. (I omitted these since I'm not a fan of raw onion.)
4 Hoagie rolls

Mix the first 4 ingredients in a small bowl. Add the olive oil to a medium sized skillet, swirling the olive oil around in the pan to coat the bottom. Toss the shrimp with the spice mixture until well coated. Place in the pan. Over medium heat, cook the shrimp on both sides until done - about 2 minutes for each side. Place on a paper towel with a plate underneath to drain any excess oil.

Slice the rolls in half, add mayonnaise to each side if you'd like. Add lettuce, tomatoes, onion, then top with 1/4 of the shrimp. Cover with roll top and enjoy.

Makes 4 sandwiches


No comments:

Post a Comment