Pages

Monday, November 26, 2018

Looking Back

Every year around this time, I start looking back at the goals I set in January and where I stand at the present time. I know that any goals I haven't met probably won't be completed in the few short weeks before the year ends. Not so much because I give up, but time is at a premium around the holidays and I try to be realistic about what I'm going to be able to squeeze in around shopping for gifts, wrapping, decorating, baking, making holiday cards, as well as the normal every day stuff like laundry, cleaning, and the like.

I've done well in meeting some goals, and not so well in meeting others --

I've cut back on the unhealthy food I like to eat, but isn't good for you like chips, doughnuts, and pizza. I can't remember the last time I had a doughnut this year and we haven't had pizza in about 3 or 4 months. I'm still working on eliminating cookies from my diet. I usually end up having three or four at least once a week.

I'm exercising at least 30 minutes four days a week on a regular basis. I'd like to get up to five days, but haven't gotten there yet. Prior to this year, my exercise routine was very hit or miss.

I've put in place routines to help me stay organized such as shredding the junk mail that comes nearly every day the same day it's delivered instead of letting it pile up on top of the shredder.

One of the places I haven't done well is my writing. I planned on finishing the revisions on two books and writing one complete manuscript this year and here I am eleven months into the year still working on the revisions for the first book. I need to do much better in this area next year.

Another place I haven't done well is making cards ahead of time so when someone's birthday or some other reason I want to send a card happens, I can just send one out instead of giving up writing time to hurry and make a card so I can send it out in time.

I'm going to spend the next few weeks really looking hard at my goals for this year and what goals I want to set for next year and ways to accomplish them so that I'm more successful at meeting them than I was this year.

2 comments:

  1. only set one goal last year - to read 100 books - which I met by like October. So suppose what I really need to do is set a few more challenging goals for next year. Thanks for the inspiration. I'm going to put some thought into this as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm impressed - 100 books read by October. I set a goal of reading 52 books this year and I'm a book behind schedule.

      Delete