Pages

Friday, July 29, 2016

This I know for sure...

I do not like using crutches. That I definitely know for sure. I've been hobbling around on them for not quite 3 weeks. Right now, I have a soft cast and go back to see the surgeon on Monday to have stitches removed and a hard cast put on. I'll have that for at least 5 weeks.

One thing I don't like about using the crutches is that you can't carry anything or use your hands because you need to hold onto the crutches to move about. I asked the doctor if the hard cast they're going to put on could be a walking cast, but unfortunately I have to stay non-weight bearing on my left ankle for a minimum of 8 weeks to allow everything to heal properly. He suggested I buy a knee scooter which would allow me to be more mobile.

In case you're not familiar with knee scooters (I wasn't), they are sort of like a kid's scooter you'd push along with your foot but instead of a place to put your non-pushing foot, there's a seat-like cushion where you rest the knee of your injured foot with your foot hanging off the end. Willing to try anything instead of using the crutches, I purchased one. (It was significantly cheaper to buy my own instead of renting one.) When it arrived and my brother assembled it for me. I started having second thoughts. I've had knee surgery so I wasn't sure if I could rest my weight on it even with the cushioned knee area. Also one of my incisions is right where the knee pad area ends. I decided to give it a try and if it was too painful, I'd return it.

I've been practicing on it this week. I'm still sort of clumsy at getting on it from a sitting position. I wish it was easier to maneuver when I need to turn around, but I am much more mobile with it than the crutches. The one I purchased came with a bicycle type basket attached that I use to carry things.

If you ever have to have surgery and need to stay non-weight bearing on one leg for a period of time, I would recommend getting a knee scooter. Despite my earlier reservations, I'm very glad I got one.

No comments:

Post a Comment