Pages

Friday, January 30, 2015

This I know for sure...

I saw the movie American Sniper last weekend. I enjoyed it and would recommend that people go see it. It gives a pretty realistic look at war and what our military personnel deal with without getting too graphic.

I think we need to see these types of movies (or documentaries). It's so easy for us here in the US  to go about our lives never thinking about what our soldiers are going through half a world away. Sure, we might see a report on the evening news or read about it in the newspaper or in an online venue, but I don't think we're really impacted unless we have a loved one serving overseas. The situation kind of reminds me of what one of my nephews said about WWII, Vietnam, and all the other wars that occurred before his birth - "They happened so long ago, they don't impact my life." I think many of us felt that way about the Iraq and Afganistan wars. And that's sad.

Maybe I feel this way because most of the men in my family have served in the military so that makes me more sensitive to the situation. I don't know.

But what's worse than what I mentioned above is what happened to Chris Kyle, not just him but all of the service members who survive one or more tours of duty and make it back home only to be killed in an accident, by being in the wrong place at the wrong time, or like Chris, killed by someone you're trying to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment