Pages

Friday, June 15, 2018

This I know for sure...

I signed off my laptop on last Friday to turn it off for the night and received the little message that updates needed to be installed so I chose the "install updates and shut down" option. Saturday was crazy busy so I didn't get a chance to get near the laptop that day.

Sunday morning I turned on the laptop and nothing came up except a blue screen. I let it sit there for a bit figuring it was installing and/or configuring the new updates. About 3 hours later, I received a message stating there was a boot error and needed to restart. It automatically restarted and began the process all over again.

My first thought was Oh crap! I'd heard of people having problems after a Windows 10 update. I let it run for about 10 hours total and it restarted itself about 4 times but never got past the message regarding the boot error. 

I ended up taking the laptop into a local computer IT place my nephew recommended to have them look at it. The problem wasn't with the Windows 10 update. My hard drive failed and it just happened to be when the updates were trying to install. The IT place offered to install a new hard drive and do a data recovery. I decided against it as the cost would have been close to $400. 

So this weekend I'll be out shopping for a new laptop. I can't really complain (except it's one more unplanned expense especially after having to lease a car because the old one was on its last legs) because the laptop was about 8 years old. Thankfully, I was pretty good about keeping everything backed up. I lost all of the favorites I had saved for internet sites and a few documents in my documents folder, but I have copies backed up of everything that's important especially my writing related stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment