Pages

Friday, September 29, 2017

This I know for sure...

I have a few authors that I automatically buy their books without even knowing what the book is about. I do this mainly because I love their writing, have loved all of the books by them that I've read so far with many of the books ending up on my keeper shelf.

Then I run into a book by an auto-buy author that I just can't read. Either I hate the plot line, the hero or heroine, or in the most recent case, how the book is written. I don't mean the mechanics of the writing like POV, grammar, and the like but the fact that the story jumps back and forth in time. The book I'm referring to isn't a time travel novel, but is written where one chapter takes place in the present time that the book is set in, the next chapter is occurs three years prior, the next chapter is back in the present time the book is set in, the next chapter occurs one year prior, and on and on and on.

I felt like the author chose to write the story jumping back to various points in the couples' history so she could use all the backstory she developed without doing it in one giant dump which is considered a no no.

This is the first book by this particular author that I've been disappointed in. Will I continue auto-buy her? I'm not sure. I'll probably flip through a copy of any future books to ensure those books don't contain this type of plot device before purchasing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment