Pages

Friday, June 19, 2020

This I know for sure...

I never learned to sew, not for lack of trying by my mother. My mom taught all of my sisters and myself how to sew. For some reason, I could never get anything I tried to make to come out right.

I can't even blame my lack of sewing skills on my mom's teaching since one of my older sisters made her own wedding gown with help from my mom. My youngest sister made cute dresses and other clothing for her girls when they were little. She also continues to make beautiful quilts, table runners, tree skirts, and such. 

I tried to blame my poor sewing on my mom's sewing machine. Every time I would try to use it, I always either broke the needle or had bobbin issues that resulted in giant knot messes of thread and material.

Her sewing machine died just after the pandemic started. It's probably a good 40 years old so I guess it was about due to stop working. I was able to purchase my mom a new machine before they became hard to find in stock. She doesn't like it as much as her old one. It's too different. I told her she doesn't like it because it's so much more modern and will just take some time to get used to.

We decided to get used to it together. My mom is giving me sewing lessons again. Hopefully, I'll actually acquire the skill the second time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment