Pages

Monday, July 7, 2014

Sunday Books


The last few weeks I've had one of the secondary characters from my current work in progress pop into my head. At first, it was just him telling me more about himself, then the heroine showed up and told me her name and a bit about herself. Now entire scenes and dialogue are taking over my thoughts as I drift off to sleep or I'm driving in the car.

A few weeks ago, I read an article about authors who wrote more than one book at a time, working on one during the week and one on Sundays which they call their Sunday books. At the time I thought was an interesting concept, but not something I could do.

Now that these two characters are speaking to me, I don't want to lose what they're conveying so I've started jotting everything down in a one subject notebook. It's all very random and not cohesive in any way. As I'm starting to know the secondary character that appears in my current manuscript better, I'm finding he's adding depth to the book.

This makes me want to write his story even more, so this past Saturday I sat down and started writing the opening scenes of his book. Anything I work on related to his book won't count toward my weekly page goals because I don't want to be someone who sets aside one manuscript to start another over and over again and never finish any of them.

I don't know if I'll work on it every weekend, but I do know he's compelling enough to make me do something I didn't think I'd ever be able to do - work on more than one story at a time even if it's just a few days a month until my current work in progress is finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment