Pages

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Please Welcome My Guest...

Please welcome my guest, Romance Author Mariah Lynne.

Tell us something about yourself both writing and not writing related.

I love where I live. Island life provides great settings and many interesting characters.

I have through my past business always supported island charities and causes. I am a member of our local marine environment protection foundation and served as a board member of a county no-kill animal shelter. I love animals, birds, mammals, and sea life.

I have a ten- year- old shelter adoptee Max who can perform magic tricks and hear dolphin sounds under the water before they surface. When he was a puppy we were standing near the seawall when a large dolphin stuck his nose way out of the water near us and let Max lean in to touch him. I wish I had my camera with me but that picture is imbedded deeply in my mind. I love to travel whenever I can and was honored beyond belief to serve as Grand Marshall in 2011 for our island Shrimp Festival parade

I'm jealous, especially now when the high temperature at my house today is supposed to be 37 degrees. Do you have a writing routine? Where do you usually do your writing?

Since I’m still working part time, writing routines are hard to establish and follow. I do try very hard to write first thing in the morning. I know I should do that every day and but life seems to interfere. I write at a small desk in my family room next to patio doors that provide me with a view of a tropical lagoon. It’s inspiring watching the dolphin, birds and manatees.

I work full time so I can definitely sympathize with trying to establish and follow a daily writing routine. Why do you write in the genre/sub-genre that you do? Any plans in the future to write a different one?

I write romance because I like to read stories and watch movies (like “Sleepless in Seattle”) with happy endings. I guess I’m a romantic at heart but do enjoy a good mystery as well. Psychics have always been of interest to me. I had a couple as customers who seemed really sincere in strong desire to help people. I also had an animal communicator who drove Max nuts.  (Yes the dog came to work with me!)

Joining The Southwest Florida Chapter of Romance Writers of America has been a wonderful, encouraging as well as a learning experience. I encourage all writers to look into their local professional chapters. A future project that I am working on slowly is a cozy island mystery with a touch of romance.

How do you stay motivated when writer’s block hits or your muse won’t cooperate?

When my muse doesn’t cooperate, I step away from my work and literally forget about it. Then, I’ll be driving or doing a household chore totally unrelated and an idea about how to start a story or continue the plot will burst into my mind. Of course I run for a pen and pad before I forget what just happened.

I  always get my best solutions to manuscript problems that way too. What’s the strangest thing you’ve ever done in the name of research?

I will be taking a concealed weapons course with two other writers to see how we can incorporate what we will learn into our future stories. Research doesn’t always appear as such. Travel to English royal homes, ancient sites like the pyramids, and romantic cites can serve as research after the fact.

A concealed weapons course sounds interesting. What’s the best writing advice you were ever given?

The best writing advice is to never give up, never get discouraged, and to constantly learn how to improve your craft. 

That's good advice for everyone. What do like to do in your leisure time?

I have very little leisure time but I love to swim, read, go to the movies, and on the boat. I love to travel and experience first-hand new cultures, relive history and witness the sights I’d read about in travel books and magazines

Tell us about your current release in a couple of sentences.

THE LOVE GYPSY recounts the romantic dilemma of beautiful Florida homicide detective Brianna Breeze who can’t seem to catch a man unless she handcuffs him! So her best friend decides to take matters into her own hands and tricks Brianna into seeing the Love Gypsy, a time traveler’s friend noted for her extraordinary matchmaking skills.

When a tall, muscular man wearing jeans, a black leather jacket and slicked back 50’s hair bursts in on her first visit, Brianna is bewitched. Despite the gypsy’s warning not to get involved with him, Brianna can’t get him out of her mind – even though she more than anyone knows the pitfalls of romancing a stranger.

A present day murder, a mysterious vintage car registered in the past, and a smoking gun complicate the puzzle. Brianna doesn’t know if her lover from the past is a murderer, or a savior, but she’s willing to risk time travel to find out.
 
Sounds fascinating. Can you tell us a little about your next project?

My next project is about an English duchess from the past who seeks The Love Gypsy’s aid in solving a problem brought to the present by a scoundrel of an ex-lover. During her visit, she meets the love of her life.

Sounds great!  Thank you for letting me interview you today.  

Well, dear readers, if you want to learn more about Mariah Lynne or buy your own copy of THE LOVE GYPSY, check out the links below.


Website: MariahLynne.com

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like an interesting premise. And that's a sweet experience to remember with your dog and the dolphin. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melissa,

      I'm jealous of Mariah's surroundings but have a fear of deep water (by deep I mean higher than my ankles) so I'm not sure how much I'd actually enjoy the lagoon.

      Thanks for stopping by. :o)

      Delete
  2. Hi Mariah,
    Great interview. You do sound like you live an idealic existence. The Love Gypsy sounds intriguing.

    Regards

    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margaret,

      I'm glad you enjoyed the interview. Thank you for commenting. :o)

      Delete
  3. Thank you Katherine for letting me share my story and thank you to everyone who stopped by to read it!
    Mariah Lynne

    ReplyDelete