Pages

Monday, June 15, 2020

Cliff Hangers

How do you feel about books that end in the middle of the story that require you to buy the next book and the next book after that to be able to read the complete story?

I don't mind them, but I feel there should be some type of warning or statement on at least the first book (if not on all of them) so the reader/buyer is aware that the book he/she is purchasing is not the complete novel but is part of a serialized or installment novel.

This happened to me recently. I bought a book by an author I read regularly. There was no indication that this book was the first installment of the story and would be continued in two additional books. As far as I am aware this is the author's first serialized/installment novel so I didn't expect it or know to be aware that some of the author's books are written this way.

I couldn't help feeling like I was duped because I paid the same price for this book that I pay for regular books that contain the complete story. So in order to read the whole story, I will have to pay three times the normal price of one book. I don't think it would have bothered me as much if I had known going in that I was only buying an installment and not a complete book. Though to be honest, I probably wouldn't have purchased it and would have tried to borrow it from the library instead due to the cost of buying all three installments at $7.99 each.

No comments:

Post a Comment