Pages

Monday, November 18, 2019

"Frogging" a Manuscript

I was working on a blanket this past weekend I'm crocheting for an upcoming baby shower when I realized the pattern just wasn't looking right. (I can't locate a copy of the pattern so I'm trying to duplicate it using a photograph.)

As I was frogging it back a few rows, it dawned on me that undoing those rows and reworking them is a lot like revising a manuscript. You take out, add, or change scenes, sentences, characters, dialogue and such to make the story better much like when you pull out rows of crocheting (or knitting) to make the pattern better, the stitches neater, tighter, or smoother.

While I hate when I have to pull back rows in my crocheting to fix something, it's infinitely easier to do that, even if I have to do it multiple times to get the pattern right, than it is to revise a manuscript. There are days where I feel like the changes I've made to a story the day before still need to be fixed/reworked. As frustrating as it can be, it's all worth it as the process makes for a better book (or blanket 😀) in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment