Pages

Monday, November 27, 2017

Holiday Baking

Within the next couple of weeks, my mom will start her holiday cookie baking. She makes at least 6 different kinds of cookies and at least 10 dozen of each kind. All these cookies are given away with gifts or as gifts with just a few cookies left for us as a family to eat. Maybe about 2 to 3 dozen total out of all the cookies she makes.

I always contribute at least two to three different kinds of cookies as well. This year I wanted to try some new recipes and stumbled on a copy of Better Homes and Gardens Homemade Cookies Cook Book in a used bookstore. It was published in 1975. There are some recipes I'm looking forward to trying and some I will never attempt - Fruit Cocktail Bars anyone? Just the thought of fruit cocktail in a cookie makes me shiver, much less eating one.

I did find a recipe for Velvet Pistachio Squares that I'm looking forward to trying. It seems relatively easy to make, butter or margarine, flour, sugar, an egg, vanilla extract, milk, baking powder, flaked coconut, and chopped pistachios. After you make the squares/bars, you frost them with vanilla frosting.

I'll let you know how they turn out.


No comments:

Post a Comment