Pages

Monday, August 4, 2014

Writing In More Than One Sub-genre

My first introduction to romance novels when I was a teen was through historical romances written by Kathleen Woodiwiss, Shirlee Busbee, Johanna Lindsey, Jude Devereaux. So when I decided to try my hand a writing the type of book I loved to read, it was only natural to write historicals. 

When I first started writing, I can't tell you how many times it was impressed upon me to pick a sub-grenre of Romance and stick with it. It didn't matter that I had ideas for stories that easily fell into paranormal, suspense, contemporary, or historical categories. I was told time and again I would lose readers if I jumped from one sub-genre to another. Pick the one I loved best and write those types of books. 

For a long time that's what I did, but then other characters started populating my head, telling me their stories that would in no way fall into the historical romance realm. I've written one contemporary, am finishing a second, and have jotted a good number of notes on a third. While I love writing in the modern era, I still love writing historicals too. In fact I hope to start writing Finch's story soon. (Finch is a secondary character in An Unexpected Gift.) 

Then I start thinking about that "rule" again and wonder if I'm doing the right thing. But then I think about writers such as Maya Banks who writes historical, suspense, and erotica. While I don't consider myself in the same league, she's a great example of being successful in multiple sub-genres. 

As a reader and/or writer, how do you feel about authors who write in multiple sub-genres of romance? Like it? Don't? Why?

No comments:

Post a Comment