Pages

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

What I'm Reading Wednesday...or Not

I've had a busy few days since I posted last Wednesday so I'm still reading When I Find You: A Trust No One Novel by Dixie Lee Brown. Since I don't have a new book to post about, I thought I'd share a breakfast recipe I make for the holidays or if I need to serve brunch. I hope you enjoy it.

Egg and Bacon Pie

6 slices bacon (I've used turkey bacon)
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 of a small onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
5 large eggs
5 large egg whites
1 cup milk (I use 1% milk)
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon fresh dill (or 1 teaspoon dried)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
2 plum tomatoes, sliced
2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 10 inch pie plate with nonstick cooking spray and set aside. Cook the bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until browned. Remove from the skillet. Allow to cool.

Add the olive oil to the same skillet, then add the onion and garlic. Cook, stirring often, until the onion is soft. Transfer to a large bowl. Add eggs, egg whites, milk, flour, dill, salt, and pepper to the bowl and whisk until smooth. Crumble bacon into the bowl and stir in mozzarella. Pour into the prepared pie plate. Top with the tomato slices. Sprinkle parmesan cheese over tomato slices.

Bake for approximately 40 minutes or until the top is golden and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

*Makes 8 servings

*I serve it with fresh fruit salad and toast. If you're going to serve it alone, cut it into larger pieces, but it will serve fewer people.

No comments:

Post a Comment