Pages

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

What I'm Reading Wednesday

I'm still reading Deadly Fighting Skills of the World by Steve Crawford. I know, it's going on three weeks and I'm still reading the same book. My excuse is that there's a lot of information so I'm taking copious notes, highlighting passages, and bookmarking pages with sticky tabs.

The weather here in upstate NY has gone from hot and humid one day to cool and in the mid 60's the next so this week I'm sharing a cold weather recipe that's quick and easy and a big hit in my house.

Crock Pot Chili

1 pound ground beef
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/4 cup dry red wine (When my sister makes this, she uses water instead and says there's no noticeable difference.)
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 clove garlic, minced
1 - 15oz can of kidney beans, undrained
1 - 14.5 oz can Italian style stewed tomatoes, undrained. (For a kick of extra heat, you can use Mexican style stewed tomatoes with jalapeno peppers instead.)
Shredded cheddar cheese for topping

Cook the ground beef in a large non-stick skillet over medium high heat until browned, stirring it until crumbled. Add the chopped onion and next 7 ingredients (up to and including the garlic).  Cook until the onion is tender. Pour everything in the skillet into a crock pot and stir in the kidney beans and stewed tomatoes. Cover with the lid and cook on the low heat setting for 4 hours. Spoon into bowls and sprinkle the shredded cheese on top.

Makes 6 - 1 1/4 cup servings

No comments:

Post a Comment