Pages

Monday, June 17, 2013

Word by Word

Last Monday I vowed to go hunting for my wayward muse.  I found her quite easily the first couple of days, but there were times when she proved elusive.  A writer friend mentioned that maybe I need to stop trying to force the words to come, and focus on just writing. She suggested I write about anything that comes to mind instead of spending my writing time struggling to make headway on my novel.

I found a great book titled A Writer's Book of Days: A Spirited Companion & Lively Muse for the Writing Life by Judy Reeves.  It's divided into sections, one for each month of the year, but more importantly it gives writing prompts for each day for writing practice. The writing prompts are sometimes general such as "Shadows" and sometimes specific such as "Describe the contents of someone's closet."

While I'm still planning on working on my novel during my regular writing time, I'm looking forward to trying some of the writing prompts later in the evening to try and entice my muse to come back and stay for a while. I'll keep you updated on how things go.

No comments:

Post a Comment