Pages

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

What I'm Reading Wednesday...Or Not


It’s been in the mid-60’s in my area the last couple of days and while it’s great weather to curl up with a good book, my mind has been dwelling on another thing I like to do during cool weather.  Bake!  I’ve been dying to make a loaf of nice crusty bread.  So instead of posting what I’m currently reading, I thought I’d post one of the many bread recipes I have. 

This recipe doesn’t require you to wait hours while the dough rises.  It’s quick and easy and tastes great.  You just mix it, put it on a pan, and put it in the oven.  It reminds me of sourdough bread, not the same thing, but I think it’s close.

Beer Bread

3 ½ cups of all purpose flour  (I have used whole wheat flour too.)
3 Tbsp white granulated sugar
1 Tbsp baking power 
1 ½ tsp salt
1 12 ounce can of beer  (Don’t use light beer.)
1 egg, beaten

Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees, making sure the rack is in the center.  Mix all of the ingredients except the beer and egg together in a large mixing bowl.  Stir to combine.  Add the beer and stir until just combined.  Don’t over mix.  Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead to form a ball.  Place on a slightly greased baking sheet and cut an X in the center of the loaf.  Brush with the beaten egg.  Bake 45 minutes or until golden brown.  Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

The bread never seems to cool at my house before we cut it and slather it with butter.   I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

On a separate note, on Thursday, 9/8/11 I'll be guest blogging at "Off the Keyboard" the official blog of award winning author Sarah Grimm.  http://www.authorsarahgrimm.blogspot.com

Katherine

No comments:

Post a Comment