Pages

Monday, April 29, 2019

Revision Dilemma

As many of you know I've been knee deep in revisions for far too long now. I revise on a paper copy of the work in progress then transcribe the changes to the manuscript on the laptop. One of the issues I've come up against is trying to keep track of what paper version has the latest round of edits if I need to refer back to them for some reason.

I came across Susan Elizabeth Phillips' method of revising a few months ago and thought "That's a good idea" and kept moving on with whatever else I needed to get done on the laptop that day. Well, after spending 45 minutes comparing two sets of revised pages to the version on the laptop, I've decided to incorporate her method into my revision/editing process.

She uses a different color paper for each draft. The first draft may be on regular white copy paper, the second draft on yellow paper, the third draft on light blue paper and so on. I just happen to have two reams of yellow paper and 1 1/2 reams of light pink paper. I also have a ream of white paper that has holes already punched in it so if you want to put it in a binder, you don't have to hole punch it yourself. I'm not sure where I got this from, but I'm sure it'll come in handy.

Having different colored paper for each draft will definitely make it easier to keep track of what hard copy version has the latest revisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment