Pages

Friday, March 14, 2014

This I know for sure...

I try to keep these posts to more random topics and not writing related as those are usually my Monday posts. That being said, today I want to write a bit about promoting a book.

I can't tell you how often I've heard, "You just need to promote your book and the sales will come." Um, no, not necessarily. You can tweet, post on Facebook, post on various loops, do giveaways, have friends help spread the word, but if no one shows up to purchase, all that promotion is wasted. There are hundreds of thousands of books on the market and trying to get your voice heard and attention focused on your book is a time consuming, often thankless task that may generate a few sales but without people reading your book and spreading the word about how great it is, sales won't grow.

Let me qualify that, my sales are okay but what writer wouldn't like them to be better? In my case, I want them to grow to the point where they will allow me to quit the dreaded day job and write full time. I don't need an 8 figure contract like the one Sylvia Day just signed, I'd just like make about the same income I make from the day job so I can quit and write full time.

What I do know for sure is that book reviewers are amazing at getting the word out to their followers on how great a book is or how much they enjoyed a particular book and encourage others to purchase a copy. It's one of the reasons I started posting reviews of the books I've read rather than just listing the book's title, author, and summary.

So to all the blogging book reviewers, I just have one thing to say -- Thank you for reading and posting reviews, good and bad, and helping authors spread the word about their books. It's appreciated more than you know.


No comments:

Post a Comment