Pages

Monday, March 17, 2014

Advice To My Younger Self

(Orginally supposed to be posted on Leanne Tyler's blog on 3/3/14 but due to technical issues wasn't posted.)
    
 In the December 2013 issue of the Romance Writers Report (RWR) there was an article titled, “What Advice Would You Give Your Younger Self” that started me thinking. What advice would I give my younger self if possible?

     The first piece of advice would be “Don’t let anyone tell you you’re wasting your time pursuing something they think you don’t have a chance of attaining.” I stopped writing for ten years before I gathered the courage to try again. Oh I still wrote here and there – snippets of dialogue, bits of scenes, things about characters that wouldn’t leave me alone until I put them on paper but that’s all they were – random thoughts that languished for too long in a hanging folder in the back of a desk drawer.

     The second piece goes hand in hand with the first. “Don’t waste time.” Write every day or if you can’t, write as often as you can even if it’s only in 10 or 15 increments. I lost those ten years that I can’t get back. Who knows where I’d be in my writing career today if I hadn’t put my dreams on hold.

     My last piece of advice would be to soak in all the advice and all the how to’s you’re given by those writers who’ve already been where you are now. Don’t be afraid to ask questions. When other writers offer to share their knowledge, take them up on it and then pay that generosity forward by helping those who ask questions or advice of you.

I practice the second and third pieces of advice daily. They both have made a world of difference in my writing and my attitude toward it. 

What advice would you give to your younger self?

No comments:

Post a Comment