Pages

Monday, July 15, 2013

Writing Time

First, sorry about the lack of posts last week. A personal matter came up with no forewarning so I didn't have time to schedule posts ahead of time.

This led me to start thinking about how life can sometimes interrupt our regular writing and promotional routines. We all have responsibilities within our daily lives that at times will take precedence over everything else. Those of us who work outside the home and have limited time for writing and promotion may find that days go by before we can find the time to sit down and write.

I started thinking how I could prevent that. Of course, there will always be times when I just can't get to the computer due to a pressing responsibility, but how can I keep on track?  Here are a few things I'm going to try the next time something comes up that throws my writing routine out the window:

  1. Write a few blogs and keep them saved on my computer so if something like last week comes up, I'll have a few posts ready.
  2. I keep a notebook and pen in my purse. Use those to jot down ideas, settings, outlines of scenes, or snippets of dialogue when I have a few free minutes while I'm waiting in the doctor's office, the hospital waiting room, etc.  This way those things don't disappear into the ether and I have them when I can get back to my routine.
  3. Post on Facebook (and Twitter once I figure out how to use it effectively) from my phone while I'm doing all that waiting.
I'd love to hear how you handle life's interruptions to your writing time.

No comments:

Post a Comment