Pages

Monday, April 29, 2013

Struggling to Write

Lately I've been struggling to write, not just getting the words down on paper, but getting my butt in the chair in front of the computer. I'm not sure why. It could be that there's been a lot of stress and tension at the day job and when I get home from work the last thing I want to do is sit down and write.

I find myself sitting on the sofa and visiting with my mom and complaining about my day. She's a great listener so maybe that's why I do it. Once I get all the frustration and aggravation I dealt with all day off my chest, instead of writing, I read. Maybe I feel like I need the escape. I'm not sure. But then I ask myself if it is for the escape, why don't I escape into the story I'm supposed to be writing?

Last week my critique partner had a commitment so we couldn't meet and I didn't write a single word. Not one. And I'm already well behind in the word count of this manuscript where I hoped to be by this point. The week before I only managed to get 4 pages written. I felt like I was letting my critique partner down coming with so few pages for her to review.

I need to break out of this slump before it gets worse. The thing is is I'm afraid until things change at the day job (which doesn't look like anything will be happening any time soon), my writing will continue to suffer.

No comments:

Post a Comment