Pages

Monday, April 23, 2012

100 Days


It is part of South Korean culture that if you do the same thing every day for 100 days, it means you have put a great deal of significance into whatever you are doing, and therefore it is believed to bring a good result.

I recently read the above in a newspaper article in my local paper and it struck a chord.  How many of us want to achieve something in particular but don’t put in the effort required to actually achieve the level of success we aspire to?  I know I’m guilty of it. 
 
There are two things I want to achieve, but for one reason or another don’t put my all into.  The first is I’d like to lose weight. (Okay, I’m a female so it’s a given that I’d want to lose weight.  What woman on the planet is happy with what she weighs?)  I don’t want to lose weight to wear a smaller size, though that would be nice, but to be healthier and to take stress off my knees.  My knees are in such bad shape, my orthopedist has told me that they are in the condition of a person twice my age.  I’ve had 4 knee surgeries in 4 years and the next one will be knee replacement.  Since I want the next surgery to years off in the future, I need to lose 25 pounds and be more active than I am.

The second thing I want to achieve is to be able to make enough money from my writing to support myself without needing a job outside the home.  While I have a novel in progress and am promoting the novel I do have on the market, I don’t write every day.  I try to do as much promoting as I can and am starting to wonder if I’m putting too much time into promotion and not enough time into writing new material.  I set a goal for myself at the beginning of 2012 to write 3 novels by December 31st.  So far I’ve written one novel and the first chapter of what I think will end up being a novella.  If I’m not writing every day or turning out a decent number of pages per day, I will not meet this goal.

So I’ve decided to do my own 100 days.  For the next 100 days, starting today, I will write every day even if I only have time to write 1 page that day and I will do some form of physical activity for at least 20 minutes per day.  I’ll be updating my progress weekly here and on my Facebook page as a way to hold myself accountable.

No comments:

Post a Comment