Pages

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

What I'm cooking Wednesday

While I'm reading the wonderful book, One Summer by JoAnn Ross, I had bananas that were quickly turning brown in the summer heat so I made banana bread last night.  I thought I'd share our old family recipe today.

Banana-Nut Bread

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup Crisco shortening
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 cup mashed bananas
2 tablespoons milk
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (I sometimes use pecans instead)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Mix the first four (4) ingredients together, stir thoroughly and set aside.  In a separate bowl, cream the shortening and sugar together until light and fluffy.  Add eggs and beat well.  Combine the banana and milk then add to the creamed mixture alternating with the flour mixture, beat until smooth after each addition.  Stir in the nuts.  Pour into a greased 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pan.  Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until done.  Makes 1 loaf.

*I sometimes also put in mini chocolate chips along with the nuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment