Pages

Monday, March 19, 2012

When did I grow old?

I went to my niece's 11th birthday party yesterday afternoon at a local VFW post. It was a dance party so music blasted in the background as a bunch of 10 and 11 year old girls ran back and forth laughing and giggling, and shouting at each other to be heard over the music. I never realized how high pitched young girls' voices could be.

I'd only been there an hour and I had a headache already. I could barely hear myself think. I kept wondering when the presents were going to be opened so I could make my excuses and leave.  When I walked out of the building a little over two hours later, I stopped in the parking area and listened---Ah, blessed silence.

Then as I walked to my car, it hit me. Somehow I had become one of those "old" women who hated loud music and hordes of screaming kids. And you know what, I don't mind. Don't get me wrong I enjoy music and love my nieces and nephews. I've just decided that in the future, I'd prefer not to experience the two together.

No comments:

Post a Comment