Pages

Friday, May 4, 2018

This I know for sure...

Actually I don't really know this for sure. I'm not certain if I want to do any container gardening this year. Part of me wants to give it another go. (Those of you who've read this blog for a few years know of my previous attempts and squirrels.) Part of me doesn't feel up to the daily struggle of keeping the squirrels from digging up the fledgling plants. I've even tried growing flowers in pots without success. The squirrels are relentless.

My nephew gave me a spray of some type he found at Lowes during their end of summer season sale last year. It's supposed to keep squirrels from attacking your plants. I thanked him and put it in the basement along with my empty pots from the previous year. I'm tempted to try growing at least one plant just to see if the spray works.

My one claim to success happened more on its own than from any real help from me. In one of my previous years at attempting to grow tomatoes in a pot, the squirrels raided it of any fruit the size of a cherry or larger. I guess they dropped one and it fell in the crack between two sidewalks. The next thing I knew, a tomato plant started to grow out of that crack. It turned out to be the biggest tomato plant I've ever managed to grow and it basically seeded itself. I've included a picture of it below.

No comments:

Post a Comment