Pages

Monday, September 15, 2014

Planning Time Again



I'm a big believer in goal setting. It gives you something to work toward. I start out with the main goal then break it down into steps or smaller goals that make that main goal achievable. I set dates of when I want to reach the smaller goals so I keep moving forward. 

I realize it's only the middle of September but I've started doing the preliminary planning of my goals for 2015. I've sketched a few things out on paper. At this point there's nothing concrete or specific, just a few items I think I'd like to accomplish this coming year.

I'll let the list sit for a few weeks, adding ideas, subtracting ideas until I get the list down to two or three major goals that I want to achieve in 2015. After I have those goals, then I break each one down into 10 monthly goals. I do 10 monthly goals because it's nearly impossible for me to get anything of note done from the middle of November until the end of the year.

Depending on the monthly goal, I break it down into weekly goals. One weekly goal I nearly always set every month is to write 25 pages of new material each week. If I know I have something big going on a particular week then I set a smaller weekly page goal, but I try to write more the week before or after that busy week.

I think goal setting can help you achieve anything you want to whether it be writing a novel, losing weight, or breaking a habit. None of these things are easy to do, but goal setting puts you on the path to success.

Do you set goals when you have something you want to achieve?

No comments:

Post a Comment