Pages

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

What I'm Reading Wednesday

Sorry, no review again this week. I thought I would have time to read a complete book before today, but no such luck. I spent too much time visiting with family over the Thanksgiving weekend. No regrets though.

For those of you who bake cookies for the Christmas holiday, here's a recipe a friend gave me a couple of years ago. I can attest that they are delicious.

Cream Cheese Sugar Cookies

4 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 cup butter softened
1/2 cup shortening (I use Crisco)
1 8ounce package cream cheese
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Combine the flour, baking power, salt, and nutmeg in a bowl and set aside. Cream the butter and shortening together in a large mixing bowl. Add the cream cheese and sugar, beating until fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla and beat well. Gradually beat in the flour mixture. Divide the dough in half. Cover and chill for at least 1 to 2 hours.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough until 1/8 inch thick (You can leave them a bit thicker. This will make them almost cake like and just as tasty.) Cut with desired cookie cutter shapes. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 7 to 9 minutes. Cool on wire racks. You can frost them with your favorite frosting type or leave them plain. They are great either way.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I am stealing this cookie recipe! I might try these instead of the normal sugar cookies I make to decorate. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I make these every year along with my mom's sugar cookie recipe. As far as I'm concerned you can never have too many cookies. I hope you enjoy them.

      Delete
    2. I just baked them today and they are yummy! I'm sharing a picture and the link to your post on my FB page. :)

      Delete
    3. I love them. I do limit myself to only making them around the December holidays because I can't leave them alone. Thanks for posting the link on your page.

      Delete