Pages

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

What I'm Reading Wednesday...Or Not

In last week's What I'm Reading Wednesday post, I mentioned I was reading Deadly Fighting Skills of the World by Steve Crawford for research purposes. Well, I'm still reading it so I thought I'd post an end of summer recipe instead.

For all of you who more zucchini squash than you know what to do with, I thought I'd share my mom's zucchini bread recipe.

Mom's Zucchini Bread

2 cups shredded raw zucchini
3 eggs
1 3/4 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional) (My sister puts in mini chocolate chips instead of walnuts.)

Place zucchini in a strainer and press or squeeze to remove excess liquid. Beat eggs, sugar, and oil together in a large mixing bowl. Stir in flour, baking powder, soda, cinnamon, salt, vanilla, and walnuts. Mix just enough so that all the ingredients are combined. Stir in the drained zucchini.

Pour into 2 greased and floured 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 55 to 60 minutes, or until a wooden pick or cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.

Makes 2 loaves

2 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy! I love to bake bread so I HAVE to try this! Thank you sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chrys,

    I love to bake bread too. I find the kneading part of it very relaxing. And there's nothing like the smell of freshly baked bread. I bake more than I buy in the fall and winter months. When the warm weather arrives, we use the loaves I put in the freeze, but once those are gone, it's back to store bought bread. Let me know how the recipe turns out for you.

    ReplyDelete