Pages

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

What I'm Cooking Wednesday

I haven't had much time to read lately, but have been trying out old family recipes I found in my grandmother's cookbook.  My family really liked these so I thought I'd share.

Velvet Pistachio Squares

1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup flaked coconut
6 tablespoons chopped pistachio nuts
1 container vanilla frosting (I used the Duncan Hines brand)

Cream together the butter (or margarine) and sugar in a mixing bowl.  Blend in the egg and vanilla.  In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to the egg butter mixture alternating with the milk.  Mix well once all of the flour mixture and milk has been added.  Stir in the coconut and 4 tablespoons of the chopped pistachios.  Pour into a greased 9 x 9 x 2 inch baking pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. 

Allow to cool completely. Spread the vanilla frosting over the top and sprinkle the remaining 2 tablespoons of chopped nuts.  Cut into squares and serve.

Makes 12 squares (or if you cut them bigger 9 squares - my family liked the bigger size)


No comments:

Post a Comment