Pages

Monday, March 26, 2012

Spring Planting



I love the idea of having a vegetable garden.  There’s just something very satisfying in growing your own food.  But I have one very large drawback – I live in the city and have a yard the size of a postage stamp, okay if you rounded the corners off it’s probably the size of a half dollar, still not big enough to sustain a garden.

Try container gardening you say?  I have.  For the last two years I’ve tried growing tomatoes and green peppers in various pots on my back porch with little success.  Last year I even tried growing cucumbers, pumpkins (my nephew’s request) and yellow squash in long semi-flat containers.  I had a lot of blossoms on both the squash and pumpkin plants but nothing developed into actual vegetables.  I managed to grow about 10 tomatoes and 3 cucumbers which the squirrels promptly chewed on so no cucumbers for me but they seemed to enjoy them.


I’ve decided try again this year.  If anyone has any suggestions on container gardening, I’d love to hear them.  I’d love to grow enough vegetables to be able to have something to call a garden even if it’s a small one. And my nephew would be thrilled if I could manage to grow a pumpkin for him.  :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment